A Travellerspoint blog

Long time no hear. Sorry.

Durban, on the final stretch.

sunny 21 °C

Wow! What a long stretch without an entry. My apologies. I've been so busy and when I haven't been busy, there hasn't been a WORKING computer anywhere nearby. The last I wrote, I was in Coffee Bay, complaining about the young wipper snapper college kids in Port Elizabeth keeping me awake. After there though, things got SO exciting. I went to Cinsa, a really small holiday village to a hostel called Buckaneers. It took up a whole side of a mountain with about 10 small buildings for accomodation and bars and eating halls. It was such a great time. I traveled there with a German couple that I had been bumping into all the way from Cape Town. They were travelling with surf boards all along the coast. I only spent two nights there, but was so busy the whole time canoeing, walking on the beach, and so much partying. The next day we went to Coffee Bay where my last entry was. That was the first real taste of African culture. The hostel, the Coffee Shack, was 60 km South of the main road and surrounded by traditional Transkei round homes painted a light green except for the back side. This side always faces the wind and sun so it absorbs the heat. I went in one where a couple hippy girls were living. Really really interesting. We were listening to African songs by some of the locals and with some of the musicians, we were singing contemporary songs with them. It was a really good time. The hostel was also a lot of fun. The owner was a world surfing champion ten years back and gave a group of us free lessons. He was very good. After that we headed off (me, Reanie and her boyfriend from Holland and two Argentinian girls; Paz and Maria) to Port St. John to hang out there for two days. It was a little bit of a let down as it was so quiet there. It is the winter after all, but we were able to go for a hike to a place down the face of a wall to see the "Blow Hole". It's a formation in the rocks that takes the waves and sends them through a hole that looks like a whale blowing water out its blow hole. It was a great hike. We also were taken to the top of a flat-topped mountain to an air strip to watch the sunset. It was amazing to watch the misty ranges of South African mountains turn from bathed in yellow to orange. It was a truly special place. After Port St. John we had some bus troubles and finally arrived in Durban at 2;30 in the morning. I was expecting to hate Durban as I heard so many stories about the high crime and the high probability of being mugged, but it's not that bad (so far). We are having a lot of fun. I bumped into a friend on the street that I have said a proper goodbye to a total of 4 times now. Every time we think we will not see each other again, presto. There he is again. Daniel is probably the most talented musician I've ever met. He's truly gifted and always plays and sings at each hostel he goes (and sometimes on the bus too). It's great fun. Tonight we are all going out (my Dutch and Argentinian friends) to celebrate our 7th and final day of travelling together. It's sad, but we are all better off for having met each other. I'm still having the time of my life.

Posted by mtn_biker 10:53 Archived in South Africa Tagged backpacking

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint